In the Midwest and nationally, Indiana University Health Gastroenterology and Hepatology is making an impact in the lives of patients living with GI and liver diseases. As one of the largest gastroenterology and hepatology programs in the nation, our 10 clinical specialty areas continue to grow in volume with several recognized nationally for expertise, innovation, and patient outcomes. I’m pleased to share some highlights and distinguishing features of our comprehensive program.
- We remain a regional and national destination for the expert treatment and care of liver and pancreatobiliary diseases, motility disorders, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), fecal microbiota transplant, colorectal cancer screening, and advanced and innovative endoscopy.
- The recipient of federal grant funding in key clinical research areas, our hepatology program is one of the busiest in the country and the site of dozens of investigator-initiated and industry trials.
- Our adult liver transplant program set a record in 2023 with 189 lifesaving liver transplants. With a robust living donor liver transplant program, we expect our transplant program volumes to continue this upward trajectory.
- Led by experienced physicians—faculty at Indiana University School of Medicine—our GI and hepatology teams served more than 39,120 patients in 2023. This represents a 30.2% increase in patient volume compared to 2019. Additionally, our program has sustained 5 to 10% increases in outpatient endoscopy volume each year since 2021.
- In downtown Indianapolis, our physicians and care teams continue to serve veterans at the VA medical center and underserved populations at Eskenazi Hospital. We are also able to provide care closer to home for patients through our numerous outreach locations in central Indiana and other parts of the state.
- Our research portfolios are growing rapidly, and we continue to attract funding from major funding sources.
- Fulfilling our mission of excellence in teaching, our training programs, including our accredited clinical GI fellowship program, are attracting postdoctoral trainees from around the globe.
We are proud of our most recent accomplishments, as well as the legacy of excellence for which we’ve become known nationwide. On behalf of our division, I thank you for your interest in our program. If you have any questions, please feel to reach out to me.