Applications to the Internal Medicine Residency program at IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital are only accepted through ERAS. All positions are filled through the NRMP.
Our program will be participating in the supplemental ERAS application offered through the AAMC’s ERAS program. Applicants will be required to complete the MyERAS application, and participation in the supplemental ERAS application is optional.
We are committed to accepting the best candidates, regardless of their medical school or national origin. Our program is diverse with residents from many different universities and cultures. Learn more about IU School of Medicine's commitment to diversity.
We receive approximately 2,000 applications per year for eight positions and therefore are able to personally interview only about four percent of applicants. We do personally review all applications and you will only be notified if you are selected to interview with our program. All interviews are conducted virtually.
- USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX Part 1 pass in the first attempt.
- USMLE Step 2 or COMLEX Part 2 scores preferred prior to rank submission and pass in the first attempt.
- No prior failures on USMLE CS or COMLEX PE.
- USMLE or COMLEX results must be within the last five years.
- We typically require a USMLE average of 220.
Approved Medical Schools and Year Cut-Offs
- U.S. Allopathic Schools or Osteopathic schools: senior or graduate preferably within the past three years.
- International Medical Schools: senior or graduate preferably within the past three years. Please note your school must be listed on the Medical Board of California Approved Medical School List AND NOT listed on the Indiana Licensing Board Disapproved List. If your school is not on the California approved list, you will not be called for an interview.
We cannot guarantee sponsorship of any type of visa. Availability of visas depends on many factors outside our control that cannot always be anticipated in advance. We currently sponsor J-1 visas only.