This toolkit is designed to assist mentors and mentees as they establish and maintain a productive mentoring relationship. It is designed to meet the following expectations of a mentoring relationship:
Understand the qualities that lead to success.
- What makes a great mentor?
What are my skills and needs?
Clarify roles and responsibilities.
- What does my mentor or mentee expect of me?
- Are the roles clear and responsibilities reasonable?
Set realistic goals and develop a plan.
- Is my Individual Development Plan “SMART?”
- Have we created an achievable plan and timeline?
Develop a schedule for meetings and have an agenda.
- Is communication in person, by email or phone?
- Does each meeting have an agenda?
Establish evaluation and feedback plans.
Consider the personal and professional identities of mentor and mentee.