Skip to main content
Residency Program

Residency Program

The residency program in the Department of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery at IU School of Medicine is based on the core curriculum of the American Board of Otolaryngology and includes five years of post-graduate medical education.

Residents learn from faculty members with advanced training and expertise in head and neck oncology and reconstructive surgery, laryngology, pediatric otolaryngology, neurotology, facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, and endoscopic sinus surgery. Yet the program isn’t limited to a future physician’s training and graduating. Department faculty members serve as professional mentors to residents for the rest of their careers.

This training experience prepares residents to care for patients of all ages with medical and surgical disorders of the upper aerodigestive system, ears, and other structures of the head and neck. Upon completing this residency program, residents will have exceeded the requirements of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education and the Residency Review Committee for Otolaryngology. Rotations optimize training in a variety of otolaryngology subspecialties, including neurotology, facial plastic and reconstruction, pediatric otolaryngology, laryngology, rhinology, and head and neck oncologic surgery.

After completing the Otolaryngology residency program at IU School of Medicine, most physicians (about 60 percent) enter a fellowship program in fields such as endoscopic sinus surgery, facial plastics and reconstruction, head and neck cancer, and otology/neurolology. The other 40 percent go straight to work. After residency, about half of IU School of Medicine Otolaryngology residents go into academics; the other half go into private practice/hospital base.

Otolaryngology Residency in Indianapolis

Medical students who are considering an Otolaryngology residency in Indianapolis can find out more about IU School of Medicine’s Graduate Medical Education program, including details on stipends, benefits, policies and more.

Office of GME

“We recognize that people who are satisfied with their educational experience will approach each day willing and motivated to work hard to advance the field of medicine. We promote an environment of collegiality to respect and encourage our residents within this program.”

Taha Shipchandler, MD, Otolaryngology Residency Program Director

Global Experience

Several opportunities are available at Indiana University School of Medicine for residents to volunteer and train in resource-limited communities outside of the United States. Otolaryngology residents have participated in Vietnam Facial Plastics, Nicaragua Facial Plastics (clefts) and AMPATH-Kenya (Academic Model Providing Access to Healthcare). Residents who participate in a global experience receive funding support from the department.

The AMPATH-Kenya program, pioneered by IU School of Medicine, is among the largest collaborative health care efforts in the world. At any given time, 20-40 IU School of Medicine faculty physicians from various specialties are practicing medicine in Kenya at the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital. Otolaryngology faculty and residents participate for one to two weeks at a time to treat head and neck tumors, thyroid disease, cleft lip and palate, facial deformities, and hearing loss. Residents who participate in the residency track in global health receives funding support from the department.

Salary and Benefits

IU School of Medicine offers a competitive salary and benefits package for residents. The Department of Otolaryngology provides additional support. In addition to the generous benefits package IU School of Medicine provides to resident physicians as employees, otolaryngology residents receive additional professional development funds, equipment, paid time off and other support.

Professional Development Funds

  • Professional Development Funds
    Supplemental funding is available to each otolaryngology resident for technology ($600), loupes ($1,500, one-time purchase) and travel (one poster or oral presentation at a meeting per year).
  • Paid Time Off
    PGY1s and PGY2s are allotted three weeks of vacation per year. PGY3s, PGY4s and PGY5s have four weeks of vacation per year.
  • Professional Societies
    Complimentary enrollment is available to otolaryngology residents for the American Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery, American College of Surgeons, and the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Any other society memberships are at the preference of the individual resident, and such fees are not covered by the department.