A Day in the LifeWhile your day to day schedule may vary based, this is what a typical day will look like during your CA-1 year:
- You should receive the OR schedule the day before so you can look up your patients and come up with an anesthetic plan
- 6:15-6:30 AM: Arrive at the hospital and set up your OR
- 7:00 AM: Meet and examine your patient in the pre-operative area. Afterwards discuss your patient and plan with your attending for the day.
- 7:30 AM: First cases start
- 4:00-6:00 PM: Finish for the day and go home
During the day your attending or other residents should give you breaks to eat, drink coffee, or just be out of the OR for a few minutes. Your attending will also help you to pre-op your patients and get setup between cases. The residency program is like a big family, and everyone is always willing to help each other out. Residents who are done with their cases for the day or don’t have anything assigned in their room will frequently go help their fellow residents in other rooms.