Welcome to the 2023 Medical and Molecular Genetics Symposium!
We are so happy to hold our annual department symposium again this year. Our inaugural event was in 2019 and we look forward to our next event on September 19th, 2023 at the IUPUI Campus Center. While we would love to open this to others outside of our organization, due to the growth of our department and space constraints only current Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics primary faculty, staff, and students are able to attend.
Tuesday, September 19th 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
IUPUI Campus Center, Room 450
8:00 – 8:15 Welcome - Stephanie and Overview/Instructions - Laurie
8:15 – 9:15 Room 405: Poster Session 1 (odd numbers)
Room 409: Professional Development Session 1: Multigenerational Workplace - Tiffany Lemons
9:15 – 10:15 Room 450: DEI/Education Updates - Brittney-Shea Herbert, PhD &
Austin Anderson, PhD
10:15 – 11:15 Room 405: Poster Session 2 (even numbers)
Room 409: Professional Development Session 2: De-escalation - Tiffany Lemons
11:15 – 12:15 Keynote Speaker Presentation
"From Genetics to Genomics: Embracing Change and the Impact on Genetic Testing"
Emily Farrow, PhD, GCG
Children's Mercy, Kansas City
Associate Professor of Pediatrics, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine;
Assistant Professor of Pathology, University of Kansas School of Medicine
12:15 – 1:15 Lunch & Awards Presentation
1:15 – 1:30 "Clinical Trials: Where We've Been, Where We Are and Where We Are Going"
Missy Lah, MD
1:30 – 1:45 “From Gene Variant to Phenotype: Human Pluripotent Stem Cell Models to Study the Genetic Basis of Neurodegeneration”
Jason Meyer, PhD
1:45 – 2:00 “Conditional Knockouts of Sucla2 in Mouse Brain and Muscle are Models of Mitochondrial Disease”
Brett Graham, MD, PhD
2:00 – 2:15 "Don't Count Cytogenetics Out Just Yet”
Amy Breman, PhD
2:15 – 2:30 “Evolution Pattern of SARS-CoV-2 Mutations”
Jun Wan, PhD
2:30 – 2:45 “Undiagnosed Rare Disease Clinic: Intersection of Clinical Care, Research, and Education”
Erin Conboy, MD
2:45 – 3:30 Fast Fire Presentations
1) "Cell Type-Specific Changes in the Caudate Nucleus of Human Postmortem Brains Induced by Alcohol Use Disorder"
2) "Diversity Agonistic Genome-Wide Association Study: 5- Flourouracil Toxicity in Colorectal Cancer Patients"
Tayler Brierre Smith
3) “Generation of Novel APBB2 SNP iPSC Lines to Study Increased Risk for Glaucoma Unique to Individuals of African Ancestry”
4) “Identifying Gene Variants in Those with Parkinson’s Disease: PD Generation, A North American Study”
5) “Zmiz1-Abl1 Fusion: An Uncommon Molecular Event with Clinical Implications in Pediatric Cancer”
Kevin TA Booth, PhD
6) “Detection of Dicarboxylic Acylcarnitine Biomarkers for Diagnosis of Peroxisomal Biogenesis Disorders: A NICU Case Report”
Carolina Luna & Reynold Ly (Li Presenting)
7) “Identifying Non-Coding Causes of Congenital Heart Defects: Abnormal RNA Splicing with Multiple Novel Isoforms as a Mechanism for Heterotaxy”
3:30 – 5:00 Reception: 4th Floor Lobby & Terrace