At the Indiana University School of Medicine Department of Emergency Medicine, we strive to deliver patient care of unsurpassed quality and advanced emergency medicine through education, innovation and discovery in a collegial environment that promotes intellectual and professional growth. We not only put in the work to further our mission but also believe in recognizing excellence at all levels of our department. Through research, service, and education, our faculty and learners take great steps toward achieving our goal of advancing the specialty of emergency medicine. In this blog, we’d like to highlight faculty members who exemplify this dedication.
- Benjamin Nti, MD, Frances Russell, MD, and Rob Ferre, MD received IUH value grants for their individual research projects.
- The International Journal of Emergency Medicine recently published an article from Gregory M. Taylor, DO, titled “A 2-year-old with a hepatic abscess secondary to an ascending retrocecal appendicitis: case report and review of the literature.”
- Daren Beam, MD served as the chair of the program committee for SAEM for the past two years.
- JT Finnell, MD has served as a member of the ACEP board since 2018.
- Jamie Jones, MD was chosen to receive The Ohio State University (OSU) alumni society’s 2020 Richard N. Nelson Distinguished Alumni Award. This award is presented annually to a graduate of the OSU College of Medicine, Emergency Medicine Residency and Fellowship programs who has distinguished themselves with significant contributions to the specialty of emergency medicine.
- Rami Ahmed, DO, received the SAEM Simulation Academy Distinguished Educator award for 2020.
- Melanie Heniff, MD, graduated from McKinney School of Law on May 15 with a Juris Doctorate. She also received the 2019-2020 Hall Render Health Law "Student of the Year" Award.
- Christine Huang, MD, Steven Roumpf, MD, and Haig Setrakian, MD, each served as a physician mentor to a group of IUSM students. The Physician mentors serve as positive role models and work in partnership with lead advisors to encourage and support students as they navigate medical school course work and clerkships. Students meet with their physician mentor a couple times each year—either individually or with other students.
We are incredibly fortunate to have faculty who provide top quality patient care and advance our work through teaching and research. This list represents only a fraction of what IUSM EM faculty are accomplishing. If your name is missing from this list, please share your accomplishments with Megan Palmer. Thanks to each of you for your leadership.