What to expect … When you’re expecting a match
IU School of Medicine Mar 11, 2019
Not sure what Match Day is? Check out IU School of Medicine’s Match Day quick info page!
So, you’re a Class of 2019 students who is getting excited for Match Day (or a family member or friend who’s just about as excited). Here’s what you can expect on the big day.
The big details (and things your parents will want to know)
- Date: Friday, March 15, 2019
- Time: Doors open at 10:30 am EDT; Program begins at 11:35 am EDT; Match placement announcement is at noon EDT
- Place: IUPUI Campus Center, Room CE 450
- Parking: We recommend using the Vermont Street Parking Garage. Check out the visitor parking site to learn more about locations and rates.
- Hashtags: #IUSM2019 #MatchDay2019 #IUSM #MatchDay
- Dress code: No dress code, but you should totally wear your Match Day 2019 T-shirt with pride if you have one. Also, we’ll have a photographer around so you might want to leave the pajama onesie at home … or not.
- Seating arrangements: There is limited seating for the event and plenty of room for standing so you can be in the middle of the excitement!
- Guests: Bring your family and friends to celebrate! Unfortunately, you can’t bring your pet (unless it’s a service animal).
- Snacks: Some light refreshments will be served during the program.
- How to watch Match online: The program will be streamed live on the School of Medicine Facebook page. Don’t worry—even people without a Facebook account can watch.
- What to do if you can’t attend: If you are unable to attend, but would like someone to pick up your envelope on your behalf, please contact Registrar, Amanda Ybarra to make special arrangements.
Don’t forget to bring these items on Match Day
- A photo ID so you can pick up your Match Day placement envelope.
- $1 to enter the cash drawing at the end of Match. (Yes, the drawing happens in a bed pan. Welcome to medicine)
Have some fun while you wait for your Match Day placement
- Get social: Use #IUSM2019 and #MatchDay to share your Match experiences online!
- We’ll have the perfect IU School of Medicine backdrop and photo frames for your Match Day selfies and family photo-ops.
- There will also be a photographer and videographer around so get ready for your close-up.
3…2…1… MATCH! (what the Match Day program will be like)
- 11:35 am EDT: The intro
Dean Jay Hess, MD, PhD, and Executive Associate Dean for Educational Affairs and Institutional Improvement Paul Wallach, MD, will kick off the program with some words of wisdom and excitement.
- 11:52 am EDT: The preparation
Just before noon EDT, the Match Day envelopes will be distributed alphabetically. Don’t forget to bring your photo ID!
- 11:59 EDT: The countdown
The whole room will count down to the moment you get to open the red envelope and find out where your next step of medical training will take place.
- Noon: The time to share excitement
After you open your envelope, you might just want to share the big news with the world (or at least everyone at Match).
- You will then have an opportunity to announce your Match Day placement information on stage. Your lead advisor will help you determine when to go on stage based upon your campus. Don’t worry, if you would like to announce with your BFF or partner and you are at different campuses, simply get in line together.
- We’ll even have white boards for you to show off your residency match information, which makes for some great photo opportunities (don’t forget, #IUSM2019)
The views expressed in this content represent the perspective and opinions of the author and may or may not represent the position of Indiana University School of Medicine.
IU School of Medicine
With more than 60 academic departments and specialty divisions across nine campuses and strong clinical partnerships with Indiana’s most advanced hospitals and physician networks, Indiana University School of Medicine is continuously advancing its mission to prepare healers and transform health in Indiana and throughout the world.