What to expect when you’re expecting a Match
IU School of Medicine Mar 12, 2018
So, you’re getting excited for Match. Here’s what you can expect on the big day.
The big details (and things your parents will want to know)
- Date: Friday, March 16
- Time: Doors open at 11 am; Match announcement is at noon
- Place: IUPUI Campus Center, Room CE 450
- Parking: We recommend using the Vermont Street Parking Garage. Check out the visitor parking site to learn more about locations and rates.
- Dress code: No dress code. We’ll have a photographer around though so you might want to leave the pajama onesie at home…or not.
- Seating arrangements: There is limited seating for the event and plenty of room for standing and being in the middle of the excitement!
- Guests: Bring your family and friends to celebrate! Unfortunately, you can’t bring your pet (unless it’s a service animal).
- Snacks: Some light refreshments will be served during the program.
- How to watch Match online: The program will be streamed live on the School of Medicine Facebook page. Don’t worry – even people without a Facebook account can watch.
- What to do if you can’t attend: If you are unable to attend, but would like someone to pick up your envelope on your behalf, please contact Registrar, Amanda Ybarrato make special arrangements.
Don’t forget to bring these items to Match:
- A photo ID so you can pick up your envelope.
- $1 to enter the cash drawing at the end of Match.
Have some fun while you wait for your Match
- Get social: Use #IUSM2018 to share your Match experiences online!
- We’ll have the perfect IU School of Medicine backdrop and photo frames for your selfies.
- There will also be a photographer and videographer around so get ready for your close-up.
- Tell us your story: Really excited about a Match location? Can’t wait for the next steps in your medical training? We’ll have social media gurus walking around and they want to hear from you.
3…2…1… MATCH! (what the Match program will be like)
- The intro: Dean Jay Hess, MD, PhD, and Executive Associate Dean for Educational Affairs and Institutional Improvement Paul Wallach, MD, will kick off the program with some words of wisdom and excitement.
- The preparation: Just before noon EDT, the Match envelopes will be distributed alphabetically. Don’t forget to bring your photo ID!
- The countdown: Assistant Dean for Student Affairs Antwione Haywood, PhD, will be counting down to the moment you get to open the red envelope and find out where your next step of medical training will take place.
- The time to share excitement: After you open your envelope, you might just want to share the big news with the world (or at least everyone at Match).
- You will have the chance to announce your Match information on stage. We’ll even have white boards for you to show off your residency match information, which makes for some great photo opportunities (don’t forget #IUSM2018).
- Be sure to submit your Match info to our interactive map before you walk on stage so we can fill the United States with excited new IU School of Medicine physicians!
The views expressed in this content represent the perspective and opinions of the author and may or may not represent the position of Indiana University School of Medicine.
IU School of Medicine
With more than 60 academic departments and specialty divisions across nine campuses and strong clinical partnerships with Indiana’s most advanced hospitals and physician networks, Indiana University School of Medicine is continuously advancing its mission to prepare healers and transform health in Indiana and throughout the world.