MSE opens search for directors
IU School of Medicine Aug 17, 2022
IU School of Medicine Medical Student Education (MSE) is accepting applications for two positions–director of career mentoring and director of student development. Letters of interest and CVs should be e-mailed to Emily Walvoord, MD, associate dean for student affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Priority deadline to apply is September 5.
These positions are for Physicians, MD/DO or equivalent degree.
Job description: Director of career mentoring
The director of career mentoring provides leadership for the design, implementation, assessment and continuous improvement of the IU School of Medicine career mentoring services provided to students across all phases of the curriculum. Reporting to the assistant dean of career mentoring and professional development, the Director collaborates with members of the student affairs team, faculty, academic departments, student records team, and students directly to sustain, strengthen and scale the IU School of Medicine’s career mentoring services.
The Director should have prior mentoring experience as a specialty career mentor, or as a member of a residency/fellowship program leadership team (PD/APD). The Director will report to the Assistant Dean of Career Mentoring and will partner closely with the Associate Director for Student Affairs. The Director will:
• Give students career advice.
• Interact with students and other stakeholders within the school for information exchange and issues resolution.
• Assist with development, implementation, and administration of programs and events for specialty departments that will better engage and assist students, such as long-term group mentoring programs.
• Ensure compliance with applicable regulations and policies, such as NRMP and LCME guidelines.
• Develop new tools to track and assess competitiveness of IUSM students through the use of school-level data.
• Participate in the completion of MSPE’s.
• Participate in LCME accreditation documentation and implementation of required elements.
• Meet with students to provide individualized career counseling including guiding students through career assessments, specialty exploration, goal setting, individualized competitiveness assessment, CV and personal statement review, and residency applications.
• Participate in mock interview opportunities for students.
• Assist with the development and maintenance of online career mentoring resources for IUSM students.
• Assist in the process of collecting and tracking data for office assessment purposes and utilizes data to assist in the creation of office objectives and goals to meet the needs of the student population.
Job description: Director of student development
The director of student development provides leadership and administrative support for the design, implementation, assessment and continuous improvement of the IU School of Medicine House system (Learning Communities) that foster student equity and success. Reporting to the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, the Director collaborates with members of the student affairs team, faculty, and academic departments to sustain, strengthen and scale the IU School of Medicine’s Learning Communities program. The Director will partner closely with the Associate Director for Student Affairs.
Through participation in the IUSM House system, students will benefit from active mentoring from faculty and near-peers, interdisciplinary learning experiences, and integrated support services. Houses will also connect medical students across classes for advising, support, personal and professional development. These activities will enhance student engagement, academic success and personal development. The Director will:
• Play a leadership role in the design and delivery of the IUSM House System.
• Coordinate with the medical student curriculum, academic advising and career mentoring team leaders to train mentors and further develop programming through the House system.
• Select, orient, and train physicians to serve as House mentors.
• Develop a comprehensive student personal and professional development program to be implemented within the House framework.
• Collaborate with faculty to integrate culturally sustaining and anti-racist practices into House curriculum.
• Provide leadership in the design and assessment of core student learning outcomes related to House personal and professional development.
• Meet monthly with House mentors to review programming, student concerns and provide guidance to mentors.
• Collaborate with student affairs and curricular affairs to recommend course offerings, develop programming, and implement ongoing assessment of House programming.
• Collaborate with admissions to promote the IUSM House program for incoming students.
• Coordinate with Student Affairs to integrate support services and success coaching into the House system.
• Oversee House Council Elections and training/development of student leaders.
• Meet regularly with and supervise student leaders of the House Council to monitor and develop the House System and promote peer mentoring, social support, and wellness
• Participate in the completion of the MSPE (Medical Student Performance Evaluation).