• Resident wellness is an important priority for our program. We have recently instituted allowing a one ½ day per month administrative day on IU rotations that is protected time for our residents to spend as they wish.
• Meal cards are provided for food during call at all hospitals.
• Residents receive an annual stipend which may be used towards lenses, loupes, books, meetings, etc.
• Residents are excused from all clinical duties for one day each spring to attend the annual resident retreat for team building, discussing resident life, and socializing.
• National meeting attendance is supported when presenting as primary author.
• Attendance at the American Academy of Ophthalmology annual meeting is supported for all PGY4 residents.
• The IUSM Department of Ophthalmology sponsors all PGY 4 residents to attend a 2-day LASIK course, where residents perform primary cases.
• PGY 4 residents are allowed up to 5 calendar days for job or fellowship interviews.
Primary call is split between PGY 2 and PGY 3 residents. Backup call for primary surgical trauma cases are split between the PGY 4 residents. All call is taken from home, with overnight call-room availability on the medical campus. Fatigue mitigation strategies and education is provided during orientation and an important priority for our program. After a busy night on call, residents are excused early the following day for post-call rest, following ACGME requirements.