2019 is already underway and the whole of the NetworkIN team would like to wish you a Happy New Year! Often the New Year brings around a season of resolutions. Often, our resolutions focus around changing habits with January being a month focusing on getting fitter and healthier by burning off the Christmas ham and turkey at the gym or reduce the amount of our favourite comfort food from our diet. However, rarely I imaging it relates to improving our connections and networking skills.
So here is a couple of ideas and local events not only to improve your network, but to serve and be an active part of the Indianapolis scientific community. Along the way, interact with a bunch of cool people, spanning a whole range of people in different walks of life, work, and interests within science. However, I feel we all share common ground with a passion for being involved and evoking your scientific curiosity, and importantly the public’s.
- Kick start your new plan of networking at Metazoa Brewing Company with Indy Science Connect this Thursday 31st January! Connect with a range of people and backgrounds at the heart of Indy’s science community.
- The Science Outreach Community at IUSM are holding their first ever Anatomy Nights on Friday 15th February at Center Point Brewery for heart dissection, beer, and console the broken hearts of Valentine’s Day. So, invest in your soul, learn some heart anatomy, and get an up close view of the organ that continues to beat every second of our lives. Find out more information and find out how to purchase a ticket ($5) for a great evening of fun!
If you are a post-doc, graduate student, or MD/PhD at IUSM consider getting involved in this outreach group on campus. This group provides an opportunity to increase your exposure surrounding outreach and community around Indy. Meetings are held every 3rd Thursday of the month from 9-10am (MS122A). You can follow the group on Twitter: @SOCI_iusm
- Break the conventionality of a traditional networking event and join this monthly series of Booze Books and Brains to read and discuss great books over a beer lead by a guest scientist. Lab girl by Hope Jahren will be the next feature on Tuesday 26th February.
- Feed your scientific curiosity at Taste of Science, April 21st-27th with numerous events happening around town, so find a time that fits your busy schedule. Get involved as a volunteer or be a voice of science (scientist speaks).
- Celebrate Science Indiana is a great day for the whole family. Despite this being a little way off in the year, mark your calendars now for Saturday October 5th. Experience hands on exhibits suitable for all the kids.
Now it’s up to you. I am sure this is not an exhaustive list however, hopefully this can give you the kick start you require to initiate the change you desire to see in our networking capabilities of 2019. We don’t always have to network in conventional ways so find the route in which you thrive and feel most comfortable and then get involved!! You have nothing to lose. Good luck!