Application and Interview Process
Graduates from an accredited U.S., Canadian or international medical school should submit their application through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). Indiana University School of Medicine only accepts applications through ERAS. Applicants are invited to interview using Interview Broker. Interested students can email additional questions to IU School of Medicine Pediatrics Residency program or call 317-944-4034.
Domestic and International Requirements
- Pass Step 1 on first attempt; no fails or retakes.
- Priority given to applicants with strong research/academic potential.
- Apply using ERAS.
The following items apply to International students only:
- IU School of Medicine only sponsors J1 visas.
- Less than 3-5 years out of medical school.
- ECFMG is required at interview.
- Strong U.S. clinical experience within the past year.
Required Application Materials (must be sent through ERAS)
- Common Application Form (CAF)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Dean’s letter
- Medical school transcripts
- USMLE and/or COMLEX Scores (Step 2 scores must be received by February 1)
- Personal statement
Typical Interview Day
Check into the Omni Hotel: 40 West Jackson Place, Indianapolis, IN 46225
6:00 pm Dinner with current residents
6:30 am – Breakfast buffet is provided at the Omni Hotel – 1913 Restaurant.
7:15 am – Depart from Omni Hotel – shuttle is provided.
7:30 am – Arrive Riley Children’s Hospital Simon Family Tower Lobby/Meet Host of the Day.
7:40-8:20 am – Residency Program Director: Jerry Rushton, MD, MPH
8:30 am – Chairman Department of Pediatrics: Wade Clapp, MD
9:00 am – Tour of Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health
10:30 am – Interview with Department of Pediatrics faculty
12:00 pm – Lunch with pediatric residents/conference
1:15 pm – Wrap-up, shuttle pick-up back to the Omni Hotel
- The maximum number of interviews scheduled each day is twelve.
- Interview season is October through January.
- December is the busiest month for interviewing.
- Applicants should submit application through ERAS as soon as possible to allow plenty of time for program admissions team to review files and still have ample time to schedule an interview, as interview dates are limited.
- No need to call the office regarding the status of an application. All invitations are sent through Interview Broker.