YOU ARE EXPLORING
Application and Interview Process
Graduates from an accredited US, Canadian or international medical school should submit their application through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). IU School of Medicine only accepts applications through ERAS. Applicants will be invited to interview using Interview Broker. Coordinator Sara Vitaniemi can address questions. Applicants can email Sara or call (317-944-4034).
Domestic and International Requirements
- Pass Step 1 on first attempt; no fails or retakes.
- Priority given to applicants with strong research/academic potential.
- Apply using ERAS.
The following items apply to International students only:
- IU School of Medicine only sponsors J1 visas.
- Less than 3-5 years out of medical school.
- ECFMG is required at interview.
- Strong US clinical experience within the past year.
Required Application Materials (must be sent through ERAS)
- Common Application Form (CAF)
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Deans Letter
- Medical School Transcripts
- USMLE and/or COMLEX Scores (Step 2 scores must be received by Feb. 1st)
- Personal Statement
Typical Interview Day
Night before Interview
Check into the Omni Hotel: 40 West Jackson Place, Indianapolis, IN 46225
6:00 pm Dinner with Current Residents
Day of Interview
6:30 am – Breakfast buffet is provided at the Omni Hotel – 1913 Restaurant.
7:15 am – Depart from Omni Hotel – Shuttle is provided.
7:30 am – Arrive Simon Family Tower Lobby/Meet Host of the Day.
8:00-8:30 am – Program Director: Jerry Rushton, MD, MPH
8:30-9:00 am – Tour of Riley Hospital
9:15 am – Chairman Department of Pediatrics: Wade Clapp, MD
10:45 am – Interview with Department of Pediatrics faculty
12:00 pm – Lunch with Pediatric Residents/Conference
1:15 pm – Wrap-up, shuttle pick-up back to the Omni Hotel
- The maximum number of interviews scheduled each day is twelve.
- Interview season is October through January.
- December is the busiest month for interviewing.
- Applicants should submit application through ERAS as soon as possible to allow plenty of time for program admissions team to review files and still have ample time to schedule an interview, as interview dates are limited.
- No need to call the office regarding the status of an application. All invitations are sent through Interview Broker.