Shashank Davé, DO FAAPMR grew up outside Chicago. He received his undergraduate degree with Honors from Loyola University Chicago. Inspired by his Father and sister (also physicians), he then went to medical school at Midwestern University in Downers Grove, IL, and then completed residency training at Loyola University Medical Center in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Residency training sites included the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (now Shirley Ryan Ability Lab), Hines VA, and Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital. While at Loyola, he was selected as Chief Resident. He achived one of the highest board scores in the country on the American Board of PM&R. He is double Board-Certified in PM&R and in Pain Medicine.
Dr. Davé joined Indiana University School of Medicine in September 2005, as an Assistant Professor of PM&R. After working closely with the Department of Neurology, he was awarded an academic appointment in the Department of Neurology.
His clinical interests include musculoskeletal medicine, fluoroscopic interventional procedures, and spasticity management.
Aside from clinical care, he has served as the Co-Chief of PM&R at IU Health, Co-Medical Director of the Muscular Dystrophy Association, and served as President of the Indiana Society of PM&R. He has won numerous teaching awards at IUSM, and was named as a "Top Doctor" in Indianapolis Monthly magazine.
He was selected to serve the NBME, writing questions for the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE). He also writes test questions for the American Board of PM&R (ABPMR) and serves as an Oral Board Examiner for the ABPMR.
Dr. Davé’s research interests include botulinum toxins, intrathecal drug delivery with baclofen, and sports medicine. He has authored numerous manuscripts & book chapters and wrote a book on Sports Medicine. He has lectured not only locally, but also nationally and internationally.
In 2016, he was promoted to Associate Professor of PM&R and Neurology, and in 2022, he became site director of the Lifestyle Medicine Residency Curriculum (LMRC) at Indiana University School of Medicine. This allows residents to gain experience and get Board Certified through the American College of Lifestyle Medicine (ACLM).
- DE. Euler, S.J. Davé, and H. Guo. “Effect of Cigarette Smoking on Pentane Excretion in Alveolar Breath.” Clinical Chemistry 42:2 303-308; 1996
- S. J. Davé, M.L. Steiner, and J.V. Subbarao. “Effect of the Daily Interdisciplinary Team Conference on Inpatient Rehabilitation Team Functions and Outcomes: A Pilot Study.” Am J Physical Med Rehabil 83:3; March 2004
- Lundquist, R. Uppal, S.J. Davé “Interscalene Brachial Plexus Block in a Patient with Adhesive Capsulitis following Shoulder Hemiarthroplasty: A Case Report.” Pain Medicine March 2005
- S. J. Davé, R. Buschbacher, N. Prahlow “Electrophysiology” In: Wiley Encyclopedia of Biomedical Engineering, Metin Akay, Ed. Vol 3 1449-1455. 2006
- S. J. Davé, R. Buschbacher, G. Strock, M. Randall “Therapeutic Exercise” In: Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Secrets, Philadelphia: Mosby 2008. 179-186.
- S. J. Davé, A Quandt “Golf injuries” In: Sports Medicine, A Sport Specific Approach. R. Buschbacher, N Prahlow, S.J. Davé, Eds Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2008. 83-92.
- RB. Buschbacher, N. Prahlow, S.J. Davé, Editors for: Sports Medicine, A Sport Specific Approach. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2008.
- S. J. Davé “Use of Pilocarpine for Xerostomia from Botulinum Toxin, Type B” Am J Phys Med and Rehabil 2008; 87:684-686
- O. Henkle, A. De, S.J. Davé, et al. “Analysis of Pilot Studies in Rehabilitation Journals and Publication Rates of Related Follow-up Studies.” J Physical Med Rehabil 2008; 88:3 S60
- S. Mehta, S.J. Davé, et al. “Effects of the Brainport Balance Device on Measured as well as Perceived Balance and Gait in Individuals with Balance Impairment Due to Stroke.” Am J Physical Med Rehabil 2008; 88:3 S10
- Uyesugi, B. Lippincott, S.J. Davé “Treatment of a Painful Keloid with Botulinum Toxin Type A” Am J Physical Med Rehabil 2010; 89: 153-5
- S. J. Davé, J. Salyer, K. Desai “Botulinum Toxin Type A for the Treatment of Myokymia Following Transtibial Amputation” PM&R 2010; 2:8 777-779
- G. Singh, S.J. Davé “Female Athlete Triad” In: Musculoskeletal, sports, and occupational medicine. W Micheo, Ed. New York: Demos Medical Publishing, 2011. 82-84.
- S. J. Davé “Botulinum Toxin: Therapeutic Clinical Practice & Science” Book Review Am J PMR 2011. 90 (8) 647
- Esquenazi A, Mayer N, Lee S, et al. “Patient Registry of Outcomes in Spasticity Care” J Davé Investigator in Appendix. Am J Physical Med Rehabil 2012 91:9 729-742
- S. J. Dave, M. Rider, N Zulkowski “SUCCESSFUL TREATMENT OF NOTALGIA PARESTHETICA WITH BOTULINUM TOXIN” Poster Presentation Association of Academic Physiatrists, March 6, 2013 New Orleans, LA
- S. J. Dave, “Dystonia” In: Neuromuscular Rehabilitation Quick Reference. R. Buschbacher, N. Prahlow, J. Kincaid, Eds. New York: Demos Medical, 2014. 174-175
- SX. Yu, S. J. Dave “Friedreich’s Ataxia (Primary Spinocerebellar Degeneration) In: Neuromuscular Rehabilitation Quick Reference. R. Buschbacher, N. Prahlow, J. Kincaid, Eds. New York: Demos Medical, 2014. 178-179
- S. J. Dave “Torticollis” In: Neuromuscular Rehabilitation Quick Reference. R. Buschbacher, N. Prahlow, J. Kincaid, Eds. New York: Demos Medical, 2014. 184-185
- X. Yu, S.J. Dave “Tourette’s Syndrome” In: Neuromuscular Rehabilitation Quick Reference. R. Buschbacher, N. Prahlow, J. Kincaid, Eds. New York: Demos Medical, 2014. 186-187
- ER. Bagsby, S. J. Dave, A. D. Patel “Combined Use of Botulinum Toxin Followed by Electrical Stimulation: A Focused Review” Poster Presentation. Association of Academic Physiatrists Annual Meeting, Feb 2014, Nashville, TN
- ER. Bagsby, S. J. Dave “Ultrasound Guided Chemodenervation with Botulinum Toxin in the Treatment of Spasticity: A Focused Review” Poster Presentation. American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Nov 2014, San Diego, CA
- SL. Douglas and S.J. Dave “Efficacy of Injection Techniques for the Treatment of Piriformis Muscle Syndrome” Poster Presentation at University of Illinois College of Medicine Research Day Symposium. April 2015, Urbana, IL
- BS. Foley, S. Faynboym, and S.J. Dave “Importance of an Optimal Fluoroscopic View When Performing Cervical Transforaminal Epidural Injections” Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2015; 94: 63–9
- Zorowitz RD, Wein TH, Dunning K, Deltombe T, Olver JH, Davé SJ, Dimyan MA, Kelemen J, Pagan FL, Evans CJ, Gillard PJ, Kissela BM. “A Screening Tool to Identify Spasticity in Need of Treatment.” Am J Phys Med Rehabil. Aug 2016
- K. Christakos and S.J. Davé “Hip Fracture in Older Adults: are Calcium and Vitamin D Helpful in Prevention?” J Osteopathic Physiatry. Mar 2017. 7-9
- Wissel J, Bensmail D, Ferreira JJ, et al. “Safety and efficacy of incobotulinumtoxinA doses up to 800U in limb spasticity: The TOWER study.” Davé, S Neurology Apr 2017
- Davé, SJ and McGill, N “More Americans suffering from ‘text neck’ and other tech-related injuries”. Feb 14, 2019 https://fox59.com/2019/02/14/more-americans-suffering-from-text-neck-and-other-tech-related-injuries/
- Davé, SJ and Gilmer, M. “Yoga can be a pain in the neck…and head and spine” Mar 6, 2019 https://iuhealth.org/news-hub/yoga-can-be-a-pain-in-the-neck-and-head-and-spine
- Robitaille A, Steinley BB, Davé S. Barefoot and Minimalist Running: An Update for the Clinician. J Athl Enhanc, 2019 Nov;8(3).
- Morrow-Ramsey, J and Davé, SJ “Sciatic Nerve Block for Relief of Pain Related to Heterotopic Ossification: A Case Report” Poster Presentation, AAPMR Annual Assembly, 11/15/2019
- Cooper, GP and Davé, SJ “Spinal Cord Stimulator Neuromodulation in the Setting of Post-Electrical Injury Syndrome”. Pain Medicine 21(9) 2020 pg 2024
- Davé, S., Working from home becoming literal pain in necks for many Americans. CBS4 This Morning News.https://cbs4indy.com/this-morning/working-from-home-becoming-literal-pain-in-neck-for-many-americans/, 2020 August 11.
- Trexler, LE, Corrigan, JD, Davé, S and Hammond, FM. (2020). Recommendations for prescribing opioids for people with traumatic brain injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 101: 2033-40.
- Genicular Nerve Radiofrequency Ablation as Alternative Treatment for Knee Pain in a Patient with Metastatic Melanoma: A Case Report Gary Stover, MD and Shashank Davé, DO, presented at AAP (virtual meeting) 2/11/2021
- Intrathecal Baclofen as a Potential Cause of Neuropsychiatric Disturbances in a Patient with Spasticity of Cerebral Origin Cynthia Francis, BS, MS4 and Shashank Davé, DO, presented at AAP (virtual meeting) 2/11/2021
- USATodaySpecial Edition “America renewed” 3/2/2021
- Shape.com “How Discovering Reformer Pilates Finally Helped My Back Pain” 4/16/2021 https://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/reformer-pilates-back-pain
- 5/4/2021 ABPMR Part 2 Examination: Advice from Examiners published on ABPMR (published on ABPMR website, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Titles & Appointments
- Associate Professor of Clinical Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Associate Professor of Clinical Neurology
- Associate Residency Program Director