Specialty: Division of Rhinology
Vijay Ramakrishnan, MD, joined the faculty at Indiana University School of Medicine Department of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery in January 2022. He comes to the department after spending more than a decade at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
Dr. Ramakrishnan was raised in Texas and attended the University of Texas-Austin for a broad education in an honors liberal arts program. Subsequently, he went to Baylor College of Medicine for his MD education, and he completed a surgical residency in Otolaryngology at the University of Colorado. Afterwards, Dr. Ramakrishnan undertook further specialty training in Rhinology at the University of Pennsylvania, and he ultimately re-joined the Department of Otolaryngology at the University of Colorado as faculty in 2010. There, he developed a busy clinical practice of Rhinology and Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery and served as Co-Director of the Skull Base Program with a joint appointment in the Department of Neurosurgery.
Dr. Ramakrishnan joined the team at IU School of Medicine to pursue further innovations in clinical care and research and collaborate with expert colleagues in other fields to reimagine how faculty physicians provide services and make long-term impactful changes that can benefit everyone.
Ramakrishnan Lab Website
- Ramakrishnan VR, Hauser LJ, Feazel LM, Ir D, Robertson CE, Frank DN. Sinus microbiota varies among chronic rhinosinusitis phenotypes and predicts surgical outcome (2015). J Allergy Clin Immunol 136(2):334-42.
- Ramakrishnan VR, Feazel LM, Gitomer SA, Ir D, Robertson CE, Frank DN. The microbiome of the middle meatus in healthy adults (2013). PLoS One 8(12):e85507.
- Barham HP, Cooper SE, Anderson CB, Tizzano M, Kingdom TT, Finger TE, Kinnamon SC, Ramakrishnan VR. Solitary chemosensory cells and bitter taste receptor signaling in human sinonasal mucosa (2013). Int Forum Allergy Rhinol 3(6):450-7.
- Feazel LM, Robertson CE, Ramakrishnan VR, Frank DN. Microbiome complexity and Staphylococcus aureus in chronic rhinosinusitis (2012). Laryngoscope;122(2):467-72.
- Hauser LJ, Feazel LM, Ir D, Fang R, Wagner BD, Robertson CE, Frank DN, Ramakrishnan VR. Sinus culture poorly predicts resident microbiota (2015). Int Forum Allergy Rhinol 5(1):3-9.
- Ramakrishnan VR and Frank DN. Impact of cigarette smoking on the middle meatus microbiome in health and chronic rhinosinusitis (2015). Int Forum Allergy Rhinol 5(11):981-89.
- Gitomer SA, Fountain CR, Kingdom TT, Getz AE, Sillau SH, Katial RK, Ramakrishnan VR. Clinical examination of tissue eosinophilia in patients with chronic rhinosinusitis and nasal polyposis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg (2016). [Epub ahead of print]
Titles & Appointments
- Professor of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- Fellowship-Trained Endoscopic Sinus Surgeon
- Director of Rhinology Research