Dr. Xiongbin Lu received a Ph.D. from Shanghai Institute of Biochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences in 1998 (Biochemistry). He did postdoctoral studies at NIAID/NIH (1998-2000) and at Baylor College of Medicine (2000-2003) and then joined the Faculty in Baylor College of Medicine as a Research Assistant Professor. In 2007, he was recruited as a Tenure-track investigator to the Center for Colon Cancer Research at the University of South Carolina. In 2010, he moved to the Department of Cancer Biology, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and was promoted to Associate Professor in 2012. In 2017, Dr. Lu moved to Indiana University School of Medicine and was named as Vera Bradley Foundation Professor of Breast Cancer Innovation and Strategic Research Initiative Distinguished Investigator.
Dr. Lu’s research interest spans across the field of cancer research, including human cancer genomics, targeted cancer therapy and cancer immunotherapy with a focus on solid tumors. He also has a long-standing interest in biomedical engineering. Dr. Lu was inducted to the College of Fellows at American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering in 2019. Dr. Lu has made a number of seminal discoveries that promote translational development of human cancer research. Since independent, he has trained a number of postdoctoral fellows, graduate and undergraduate students in his laboratory. Three of his postdoctoral fellows were NIH K99/R00 awardees and seven of his past trainees are now independent investigators in the US and other nations.
- Zhou Z, Van der Jeught K, Fang Y, Yu T, Li Y, Ao Z, Liu S, Zhang L, Yang Y, Eyvani H, Cox ML, Wang X, He X, Ji G, Schneider BP, Guo F, Wan G, Zhang X, Lu X (2021). An organoid-based screen for epigenetic inhibitors that stimulate antigen presentation and potentiate T-cell-mediated cytotoxicity. Nature Biomedical Engineering, 5(11):1320-1335.
- Xu H, Van der Jeught K, Zhou Z, Zhang L, Sun Y, Li Y, Yu T, Wan C, So K, Liu D, Frieden M, Fang Y, Mosley AL, He X, Zhang X, Sandusky GE, Liu Y, Zhang C, Wijeratne AB, Huang C, Ji G, Lu X (2021). Atractylenolide I enhances responsiveness to immune checkpoint blockade therapy by activating tumor antigen presentation. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 131(10):e146832.
- Li Y, Sun Y, Kulke M, Hechler T, Van der Jeught K, Dong T, He B, Miller KD, Radovich M, Schneider BP, Pahl A, Zhang X, Lu X (2021). Targeted immunotherapy for HER2-low breast cancer with 17p loss (2021) Science Translational Medicine, 13(580):eabc6894.
- Fang Y, Wang L, Wan C, Sun Y, Van der Jeught K, Zhou Z, Dong T, So KM, Yu T, Li Y, Eyvani H, Colter A, Dong E, Cao S, Wang J, Schneider BP, Sandusky G, Liu Y, Zhang C,Lu X*, Zhang X (2021). MAL2 drives immune evasion in breast cancer by suppressing tumor antigen presentation. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 131(1):e140837 (*co-corresponding author).
- Van der Jeught K, Sun Y, Fang Y, Zhou Z, Jiang H, Yu T, Yang J, Kamocka MM, So KM, Li Y, Eyvani H, Sandusky GE, Frieden M, Braun H, Beyaert R, He X, Zhang X, Zhang C, Paczesny S, Lu X (2020).ST2 as checkpoint target for colorectal cancer immunotherapy. JCI Insight, 5(9). pii: 136073.
- Xu J, Liu Y, Li Y, Wang H, Stewart S, Van der Jeught K, Agarwal P, Zhang Y, Liu S, Zhao G, Wan J, Lu X*, He X (2019). Precise targeting of POLR2A as a therapeutic strategy for human triple negative breast cancer. Nature Nanotechnology, 14(4):388-397 (*Co-corresponding author).
- Liu Y, Xu J, Choi HH, Han C, Fang Y, Li Y, Van der Jeught K, Xu H, Zhang L, Frieden M, Wang L, Eyvani H, Sun Y, Zhao G, Zhang Y, Liu S, Wan J, Huang C, Ji G, Lu X*, He X, Zhang X (2018). Targeting 17q23 amplicon to overcome the resistance to anti-HER2 therapy in HER2+ breast cancer. Nature Communications, 9(1): 4718 (*Co-corresponding author).
- Li Y, Liu Y, Xu H, Jiang G, Van der Jeught K, Fang Y, Zhou Z, Zhang L, Frieden M, Wang L, Luo Z, Radovich M, Schneider BP, Deng Y, Liu Y, Huang K, He B, Wang J, He X, Zhang X, Ji G, Lu X(2018). Heterozygous deletion of chromosome 17p renders prostate cancer vulnerable to inhibition of RNA polymerase II. Nature Communications, 9(1): 4394.
- Han C, Yang L, Choi HH, Baddour J, Achreja A, Liu Y, Li Y, Li J, Wan G, Huang C, Zhang X, Nagrath D, Lu X(2016). Amplification of USP13 drives ovarian tumor metabolism. Nature Communications, 7:13525.
- Liu Y, Zhang X, Han C, Wan G, Huang X, Ivan C, Jiang D, Rodriguez-Aguayo C, Lopez-Berestein G, Rao PH, Maru DM, Pahl A, He X, Sood AK, Ellis LM, Anderl J, Lu X(2015). TP53 loss creates therapeutic vulnerability in colorectal cancer. Nature, 520(7549):697-701 (highlighted in Nature Reviews Cancer, Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology and Cancer Discovery).
- Wan G, Hu X, Liu Y, Han C, Sood AK, Calin GA, Zhang X, Lu X(2013). A novel non-coding RNA lncRNA-JADE connects DNA damage signalling to histone H4 acetylation. EMBO Journal, 32(21):2833-47.
- Wan G, Mathur R, Hu X, Zhang X, Lu X(2011). microRNA response to DNA damage. Trends in Biochemical Sciences, 36(9):478-84.
- Zhang X, Wan G, Berger FG, He X, Lu X(2011). The ATM kinase induces microRNA biogenesis in the DNA damage response. Molecular Cell, 41:371-83 (commentary in the same issue and recommended by Faculty of 1000).
- Lu X*, Ma O, Nguyen T, Jones SN. Oren M, Donehower LA (2007). The Wip1 phosphatase acts as a gatekeeper in the p53-Mdm2 autoregulatory loop. Cancer Cell, 12(4):342-54 (profiled in Nature Reviews Cancer, * corresponding author).
- Lu X, Nannenga B., Donehower LA (2005). PPM1D dephosphorylates CHK1 and p53 and abrogates cell cycle checkpoints. Genes & Development, 19(10): 1162-74 (profiled in Nature Reviews Cancer and recommended by the Faculty of 1000).
- Lu X, Bocangel D, Nannenga B, Yamaguchi H, Appella E, Donehower LA (2004). The p53-Induced Oncogenic Phosphatase PPM1D Interacts with Uracil DNA Glycosylase and Suppresses Base Excision Repair. Molecular Cell, 15(4): 621-34.
- Tyner S, Venkatachalam S, Choi J, Jones S, Ghebranious N, Igelmann H, Lu X, Soron G, Cooper B, Brayton C, Karsenty G, Bradley A, Donehower LA (2002), p53 mutant mice that display early ageing-associated phenotypes (reported by Washington Post, New York Times, and BBC News).Nature, 415(6867): 45-53.
Titles & Appointments
- Vera Bradley Foundation Professor of Breast Cancer Innovation
- Professor of Medical & Molecular Genetics
- Strategic Research Initiative Distinguished Investigator
- Co-Leader, Experimental and Developmental Therapeutics Program