The Strategic Planning Committee is depending on input from the IU School of Medicine community and is eager to hear from faculty, students and staff to better understand where the school stands on specific priority areas and how the school can further improve on its efforts.
Strategic Planning Focus Areas
The school’s 2014-2018 Strategic Plan focused on five core areas, which include the tripartite mission of education, research and clinical care as well as aspects of fostering a collaborative and productive working and learning environment. Priorities include:
- Improve the health of Indiana’s citizens.
- Promote excellence and innovation in medical and biomedical education.
- Ensure the vitality of members of the IU School of Medicine community by creating positive and equitable learning and work environments.
- Build on the strengths of IU School of Medicine and its health care affiliates’ statewide footprint to advance the tripartite mission.
- Advance science and clinical knowledge in areas where IU School of Medicine can be distinctive and internationally recognized.
- Translate discoveries into new diagnostics, treatments and cures.
The new strategic plan will address these topic areas as well.
“As I begin my fifth year as dean,” says Jay Hess, MD, PhD, MHSA, “I’d like to take a moment to reflect on the great strides – both collective and individual – we have made at Indiana University School of Medicine. The progress we have realized in all of our missions is remarkable and is the result of the hard work and commitment of countless people across the School.
These accomplishments are the result of your hard work, talent and commitment. I have never worked with a finer group of individuals. Thank you for your dedication to the School of Medicine, our learners and the people of the state of Indiana, who are the ultimate beneficiaries of all that we do.”
Strategic Planning Committee
Visionary leaders throughout IU School of Medicine departments and program areas participate on the Strategic Planning Committee. This cross-functional team is passionate about building on the excellence of the school’s medical education and research programs to further enhance the quality of training and population health in Indiana and throughout the world.
Strategic Planning is underway at many other medical schools. Some are using innovative approaches to better engage the educators and trainees in the working and learning community. Draw inspiration from these examples and contribute others that may help advance the strategic planning process at IU School of Medicine.