MD Admissions Interview
MD Admissions interviews are held on Wednesdays at IU School of Medicine campuses in Indianapolis, Muncie, Gary, Terre Haute, South Bend and Fort Wayne. Applicants may select the interview location, but the interview date and time is determined by the Office of Admissions based upon availability. In most cases, two interviewers meet with each applicant, but this is not a guarantee. Note: To avoid delays, applicants may be assigned a different interview location depending upon availability. Rescheduling is not recommended unless extenuating circumstances exist.
Applicants spend a half day on campus, morning or afternoon, on interview day. In addition to the interview, the day includes a general information session and a session on financial aid as well as opportunities to meet current medical students to learn about student life at IU School of Medicine.
Due to limited availability of staff and medical students, guided tours are not conducted on the Indianapolis campus during interview days. To schedule a tour at IU School of Medicine–Indianapolis on a different date, contact the Admissions Ambassadors. To schedule a tour at other IU School of Medicine campuses, please contact the site directly.
To make the best possible impression during the admissions interview for medical school, these tips offer some guidance.
- Research Indiana University School of Medicine and become familiar with the new MD curriculum.
- Be professional at all times. Professionalism includes attire, interactions with interviewers, school staff and students—by email, telephone and in-person. The evaluation process is ongoing until a final admission decision has been issued.
- Check-in at the reception area upon arrival on interview day.
- Do not leave any materials with interviewers. All admissions materials must be submitted to the MD Admissions Office in Indianapolis.
- Allow adequate time to find the interview location based on the walking directions provided by IU School of Medicine.
- Snacks are provided throughout the day, but applicants are responsible for covering their own meals on interview day.
- The possibility of down time on interview day exists. Applicants can use this time to explore the campus, speak with current medical students, or grab a snack.
- Student hosts are not a guarantee. If an applicant requests a host and does not receive a response within three days of the scheduled interview, arrange for other accommodations.
The Admissions Ambassadors program at IU School of Medicine is a student-led organization that works to make medical school applicants more comfortable while waiting for their admissions interview to begin. On interview days, student volunteers are available throughout the day to answer questions, provide insight to life as a medical student and offer information about the school. Interview day is a perfect opportunity to find out what IU School of Medicine is all about, and the goal of Admissions Ambassadors is to make the experience informative and rewarding. In addition, Admissions Ambassadors provide school tours for prospective students who have not yet applied for admission but are interested in learning more about IU School of Medicine. For more information about the Admissions Ambassadors program, contact the IU School of Medicine MD Admissions Office.