Faculty serving as a presenter for an educational activity in which CME credit is provided by the Division of Continuing Medical Education at IU School of Medicine can find information, including requirements and resources, about presenting or authoring educational CME-credited material here.
The CME planning process is based on a foundation of needs assessment which serves to identify professional practice gaps of the intended audience, articulate the needs, and outline objectives that change knowledge/competence, performance and/or patient outcomes. Faculty presenters should be designing objectives and developing presentation material to address learners’ practice gaps consistent with the objectives of the activity. Additionally, program material must address one or more competencies identified for the activity and, to the extent possible, address barriers as they relate to implementation of recommendations and offer strategies for removing those barriers. Faculty presenters should strive for balance, independence, objectivity and scientific rigor.
Presentations are reviewed to ensure that the following attributes are included.
- Evidence that supports the conclusions drawn in the presentation and that this evidence is acceptable to the profession
- Research that forms the basis of the content is scientifically objective and not skewed by the opinion of the manufacturer of drugs that are referenced as treatments
- Treatment options that are fair and balanced, where no one treatment is singled out in the presentation without balancing it with other treatments in the same drug class
- Activity material that is independent and free from commercial bias
- Learning objectives referenced in the course materials link properly to the identified gaps
- Lack of omissions or additions to the content that would bias information presented to the learners.
- The activity contributes to improvements in health care by providing the learner with practice recommendations that fit within the learners’ scope of practice, meet the criteria listed above, and contribute to overall improvements in patient care.
Invited presenters receive a packet of information in the mail with a letter from the activity coordinator that outlines these expectations. This website is designed to support that packet with copies of the required forms and other helpful information for preparing your presentation or material. If more assistance is needed, please contact the activity coordinator directly.