YOU ARE EXPLORING
Center Reports on Pandemics
Need overview content that summarizes the Center of Bioethics research and reporting on the topic of pandemics.
- Pandemic influenza preparedness: ethical issues and recommendations to the Indiana State Department of Health
- Report from the pandemic influenza project: expert panel meetings
- Confronting the ethics of pandemic influenza planning: communiqué from the 2008 Summit of the States
- Pandemic flu preparedness: ethical issues and recommendations to the Indiana State Department of Health
Pandemic Influenza Guidelines and Policies
- Bird Flu Fears Ignite Debate on Scientists’ Sharing of Data Brown, D. Washington Post, The Section: A20; 05/25/2006.
- Family tragedy spotlights flu mutations: Human-to-human transmission raises demand for DNA data Butler, D.Nature 442, 114-115(13 July 2006).
- Ethical Guidlines in Pandemic Influenza. Ethical guidelines in Pandemic Influenza. CDC, Recommendations of the Ethics Subcommittee of the Advisory Committee to the Director, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. February 15, 2007.
- Interim CDC-NIH recommendation for raising the biosafety level for laboratory work involving noncontemporary human influenza (H2N2) viruses CDC Excerpted from draft: Biosafety in microbiological and biomedical laboratories. Ed 5. May 3, 2005.
- Interim guidance for airline flight crews and persons meeting passengers arriving from areas with avian influenza. CDC Published Feb 18, 2004.
- Interim recommendations for infection control in health-care facilities caring for patients with known or suspected avian influenza. CDC Published Feb 18, 2004.
- Q & A on Executive Order adding potentially pandemic influenza viruses to list of quarantinable diseases. CDC Apr 11, 2005.
- Influenza A (H5N1) and SARS. CDC Interim recommendations for enhanced U.S. surveillance, testing, and infection controls.
- Guideline for isolation precautions in hospitals. CDC/HICPAC, 2007.
- Guidelines for preventing healthcare associated pneumonia. CDC/HICPAC, 2003.
- Pandemic influenza plan. HHS Released Nov 2, 2005.
- Pandemic influenza planning: a guide for individuals and families. HHS, 2006 Jan.
- Committee on Modeling Community Containment for Pandemic Influenza, Board on Population Health and Public Health Practice. A Letter Report. National Academy Press Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, December, 2006.
- Agricultural Bioterrorism Protection Act of 2002: Possession, use, and transfer of biological agents and toxins. USDA/APHIS Final Rule 7 CFR Part 331 and 9 CFR Part 121. Fed Reg, 2005 Mar 18;70(52):13242-92.
- Questions and answers on the Agricultural Bioterrorism Protection Act of 2002: USDA/APHIS Possession, use, and transfer of select agents and toxins. APHIS factsheet.
- White House. Executive order: amendment to Executive Order 13295 relating to certain influenza viruses and quarantinable communicable diseases. Apr 1, 2005
- White House. National strategy for pandemic influenza. Nov 1, 2005
Pandemic Influenza Ethics
- Pandemic planning puts ethics in spotlight Center for Infectious Disease Research & Policy Becker, A. May 25, 2006 (CIDRAP News).
- The run on Tamiflu: should physicians prescribe on demand? Brett AS, Zuger A. (Perspective) N Engl J Med 2005 Dec 22;353(24):2636-7.
- Centers for Disease Control & Preventsion (CDC). Public Health Ethics
- Who Should Get Influenza Vaccine When Not All Can?. Emanuel EJ, Wertheimer A. Science 12 May 2006: 854-855.
- Influenza pandemic preparedness: legal and ethical dimensions. Gostin LO. Hastings Cent Rep. 2004 Sep-Oct;34(5):10-1.
- Medical countermeasures for pandemic influenza: ethics and the law. Gostin LO. JAMA 2006 Feb 1;295(5):554-6.
- Concept of operations for triage of mechanical ventilation in an epidemic. Hick JL, O’Laughlin DT. Acad Emerg Med. 2006 Feb;13(2):223-9.
- An ethics framework for public health. Kass NE. Am J Public Health 2001; 91:1776-1782.
- Preparing for an influenza pandemic: ethical issues. Kotalik J. Bioethics. 2005 Aug; 19(4):422-31.
- UPMC Influenza Task Force. Influenza vaccine scarcity 2004-05: implications for biosecurity and public health preparedness. Schoch-Spana M, Fitzgerald J, Kramer BR; Biosecur Bioterror. 2005; 3(3):224-34.
- University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics Pandemic Influenza Working Group. Stand on guard for thee: ethical considerations in preparedness planning for pandemic influenza.
- World Health Organization (WHO). The Ethics Forum on Pandemic Influenza.
Legislation in Indiana
- House Bill 1235
- Indiana General Assembly Bill Watch – HEALTH, Disease Control Click on the Subject Listing (PDF), scroll to HEALTH, Disease Control
- Flu: the story of the great influenza pandemic of 1918 and the search for the virus that caused it. Kolata, Gina Bari. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, c1999.
- In the wake of terror : medicine and morality in a time of crisis. Jonathan D. Moreno. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2003.
Wikis are open to the general public, and anyone can post articles and resources. In reviewing the content on the Flu Wiki, please keep in mind that information should be verified for accuracy. Review the Editorial Policy of the site to understand the objectives of the Flu Wiki and the context of the information presented.
The World Health Organization, in 2006, welcomed an announcement that the Indonesian government had agreed to share with the global scientific community the genetic blueprints of the H5N1 avian flu viruses retrieved from human cases in that country. A WHO official said the Geneva-based organization has instructed the WHO reference laboratories that sequenced the viruses for Indonesia to deposit their blueprints into Genbank, a databank which places no restrictions on who can study the genetic information it contains. [With Indonesia’s say so, WHO to share bird flu data with scientific community, CBC News, August 4, 2006. Excerpt.]
The May 26 issue of Nature features a collection of commentaries and other articles on pandemic and avian influenza.