Brian L. Brewer, MD
Assistant Professor of Clinical Surgery
Dr. Brian Brewer completed his medical training at Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee and then completed his General Surgery residency at the University of Tennessee in Memphis. After completing his General Surgery residency, he moved to Atlanta, Georgia to complete a two-year Trauma and Surgical Critical Care fellowship at Emory University School of Medicine/Grady Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Brian Brewer has received many honors and awards, including the Eastern Association of Trauma Cox-Templeton Injury Prevention Paper Award, 2013 and Albert C. Wheaton Scholarship Award, 2004. He is also an active instructor for the Advanced Trauma Life Support courses, Ultrasound for Surgeons courses and Advanced Surgical Skills for Exposure in Trauma. Dr. Brewer has interest in surgery education, injury prevention specifically helmet safety and trauma care outcomes.
Dr. Brian Brewer relocated to Indianapolis from Sinai Hospital in Baltimore to join the state’s busiest and most experienced Level I Trauma Center.
- *Savage S, Zarzaur B, Brewer B, Lim G, Martin A, Magnotti L, Croce M, Pohlman T. 1:1 Transfusion Strategies Are Right for the Wrong Reason. 75th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma. September 16, 2016. Waikoloa, Hawaii
- *Coleman J, Rogers T, Carr B, Field M, Zarzaur B, Savage S, Hammer P, Brewer B, Feliciano, D, Rozycki G. The Avarado Score Should Be Used to Reduce Emergency Department Length of Stay and Radiation Exposure in Select Patients with Abdominal Pain. 75th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma. September 17, 2016. Waikoloa, Hawaii
- *Brewer, Brian, Storey, Annika, Sinanan, Alex, Rozycki, Grace, Ali, Jameel. Introducing e-FAST Training to Trinidad and Tobago (TT). Trauma 2016, Trauma Association of Canada Annual Scientific Meeting, World Trade & Convention Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia May 6-7, 2016. Canadian Journal of Surgery Trauma 2016, Vol. 59 (3 Suppl 1) June/Juin 2016.
- *Brewer B, Stawikowska M, Coleman J, Zazaur B, Rozycki G, Feliciano D. Mopeds: Not the Lesser Evil. 10th Annual Academic Surgical Congress Abstract. February 3-5, 2015. Las Vegas, Nevada
- *Brewer, B and Savage, S. Endpoints of Resuscitation in Hemorrhagic Shock. In Press
- *Brewer B, Zarzaur B. Cardiac Contusions in Current Trauma Reports. 2015 Dec 1(4): 232-236
Peer Reviewed Publications
- *Coleman J, Tavoosi S, Zarzaur B, Brewer B, Rozykci G, Feliciano D. Arterial Injuries Associated with Blunt Fractures in the Lower Extremity. Am Surg. 2016 Sep;82(9):820-4
- *Coleman J, Fitz E, Zarzaur B, Steenburg S, Brewer B, Reed R, Feliciana D. Traumatic abdominal wall hernias: Location matters. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2016 Mar;80(3): 390-6
- *Haste A, Brewer B, Steenburg S. Diagnostic Yield and Clinical Utitility of Abdominopelvic CT Following Emergent Laparotomy for Trauma. Radiology. 2016 Mar 9
- Rajani R, Johnson L, Brewer B, Brewster L, Duwayri Y, Reeves J, Veeraswamy R, Dodson T. Anatomic characteristics of aortic transection: centerline analysis to facilitate graft selection. Ann Vasc Surg 2014 Feb; 28(2): 433-6.
- Brewer B, Diehl A, Johnson L, et al. Choice of motorcycle helmet makes a difference: A prospective observational study. J of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery 2013 Jul; 75(1): 88-92
Methodist Hospital B256
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
Society of Critical Care Medicine
American Board of Surgery - Surgical Critical Care