Julie L. Welch, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Emergency Medicine
Julie is Associate Professor of Clinical Emergency Medicine and Director of Mentoring Training for the Indiana Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute (CTSI). She was a founding member of the IUPUI Mentoring Academy and serves as the faculty mentoring liasion for Indiana University School of Medicine (IUSM). As former Assistant Dean for Faculty Affairs and Professional Development, she continues to champion issues surrounding mentoring, work-life policies, and women in medicine and science. She currently divides her time between academic emergency medicine at IU Health Methodist Hospital, the Indiana CTSI, and mentoring initiatives at the institutional and national levels.
For her continued commitment as a physician, leader, and mentor, she was recognized with the 2016 IUSM Clinical Excellence in Faculty Mentoring Award, a 2016 IU Trustee Teaching Award, the 2014 Emergency Medicine Residents’ Association National Mentorship Award, the 2014 American Medical Association Inspirational Physician Award, and the 2010 IUPUI Outstanding Women Leader Award.
SELECTED PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
1. Rusyniak D, Kirk M, May J, Kao L, Brizendine E, Welch J, Cordell W, Alonso R. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy in acute ischemic stroke: results of the HOT-stroke pilot study. Stroke. 2003 Feb;34(2):571-574.
2. Welch JL, Wiehe SE, Palmer-Smith V, Dankoski ME. Flexibility in Faculty Work-life Policies at Medical Schools in the Big Ten Conference. Journal of Women’s Health. 2011;20:725-732.
3. Seupaul RA, Welch JL, Malka ST, Emmett TW. Pharmacologic prophylaxis for acute mountain sickness: a systematic shortcut review. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2012 April;59(4):307-317. PMID: 22153998.
4. Welch JL, Jimenez H, Walthall J, Allen S E. Women in Emergency Medicine Mentoring Program: An Innovative Approach to Gender Mentoring in Graduate Medical Education. Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2012 September;362-366.
5. Welch J. Women in Medicine Wellness Workshop: Work-Life Integration. MedEdPORTAL. 2012;8:9248. Available from: https://doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.9248
6. Welch J, Jimenez H, Allen S. Teamwork & Conflict Management Workshop. MedEdPORTAL. 2013;9:9605. Available from: https://doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.9605
7. Welch J, Palmer M, Mitchell A, House D, Rodgers K, Wilbur L, Kline J, Ciccarelli M, Rusyniak D. Faculty Mentoring Workshop. MedEdPORTAL. 2014;10:9778. Available from: https://doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.9778
8. Welch JL, Cooper DD. Do Corticosteroids Benefit Patients With Sore Throat? Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2014 June;63(6):711-712. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2013.07.011
9. Adams D, Welch JL, Kline JA. Clinical Utility of An Age-Adjusted D-dimer in the Diagnosis of Venous Thromboembolism. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2014 September;64(3):232-234. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2013.12.018
10. Hoffmann-Longtin K, Palmer MM, Walvoord EC, Welch JL, Dankoski M. Just Ask: Using Faculty Input to Inform Communication Strategies. To Improve the Academy: A Journal of Educational Development. ID TIA2-14-0027. 2014 Sept;33(1);37-56.
11. Dankoski M, Welch J, Palmer M, Hoffmann-Longtin K, Walvoord E. Professional Development through Story and Reflection: The Stepping Stones of Women in Leadership Program. MedEdPORTAL. 2014;10:9858. Available from: https://doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.9858
12. Cooper DD, Welch JL. Should Children With Acute Asthma Exacerbation Receive Inhaled Anticholinergics? Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2015 Jan;65(1):83-84. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2014.06.014
13. Palmer M, Welch J, McAteer J, Walvoord E. Ensuring the Vitality of Senior and Emeritus Faculty: A Leadership Development Workshop. MedEdPORTAL. 2015;11:10267. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10267
14. Welch JL, Cooper DD. Do Alpha-Blockers Expedite Ureteral Stone Passage? Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2016 Jan;67(1):117-118. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2015.05.019
15. Welch JL. Fundamentals of Mentoring Series: Three Steps to a Mentee-Driven Relationship. MedEdPORTAL. 2016;12:10441. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10441
16. Welch J, Cooper D. Should I Use Lidocaine with Epinephrine in Digital Nerve Blocks? Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2016 December;68(6):756-757. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2016.03.052
17. Welch J, Sawtelle S, Cheng D, Perkins A, Ownbey M, MacNeill E, Hockberger R, Rusyniak D. Faculty Mentoring Practices in Academic Emergency Medicine. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2017 March;24(3):362-370. DOI: 10.1111/acem.13136 (*An Editor-in-Chief Pick for March 2017)
18. Welch J, Seupaul R. Update: Does Succinylcholine Create Better Intubating Conditions than Rocuronium for Rapid Sequence Intubation? Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2017 May;69(5):e55-e56. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2016.09.001
19. Welch JL, Holland D. What Elements Suggest Infectious Mononucleosis? Annals of Emergency Medicine. Published online July 17, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2017.06.014
20. Pitre C, Ladd L, Welch J. Fundamentals of Mentoring Series: Negotiating Work Life Integration. MedEdPORTAL. 2017;13:10623. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10623
21. Pitre C, Ladd L, Welch J. Fundamentals of Mentoring Series: Physician Time Management. MedEdPORTAL. Accepted for publication December 2017.
22. Pettit K, Welch J. Can newer rapid influenza tests rule out disease? Annals of Emergency Medicine. Accepted for publication January 2018.
23. Ashis S, Welch J, House R. In STEMI patients, which fibrinolytic agent is the safest and most effective? Annals of Emergency Medicine. Accepted for publication January 2018.
RG R2200 EMER
Titles & Appointments
- Director of Mentoring Training, Indiana Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute (CTSI)
American College of Emergency Physicians
American Academy of Emergency Medicine
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
Desc: Clinical Excellence in Faculty Mentoring Award
Org: Indiana University
Desc: Trustee Teaching Award
Org: Emergency Medicine Residency Association
Desc: EMRA National Mentorship Award
Org: Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
Org: American Medical Association Women Physicians Section
Desc: AMA Inspirational Physician Award
Desc: Outstanding Woman Leader Award