YOU ARE EXPLORING
Radiology has been a part of the IU School of Medicine almost from its first days as an institution. The department has grown to become one of the largest academic radiology departments in the United States. The department was officially established in 1947 with Raymond Cole Beeler, MD serving as its first chairman; prior to that time, radiology had been a division of the Department of Medicine. Growth in the department has always been pushed forward with a new chairman. Dr. Beeler brought strength to the university’s medical education program. He added additional faculty, growing the section and acquiring new equipment.
The budding radiology department was still small when it came under the chairmanship of John A. Campbell, MD from 1955-1970. Dr. Campbell achieved considerable success in developing a strong radiology department. By 1970, IU School of Medicine had become one of the nation’s leading medical schools.
In 1971, Eugene C. Klatte, MD became chairman of the department. Increased space was assigned to the department and medical school administration together with Dr. Klatte shuttled in enormous department growth, with plans to make IU School of Medicine a major academic radiology center. The department gained new and more efficient equipment and expanded its services. Dr. Klatte was a visionary to see possibilities ahead in the field of radiology, and worked to poise our department at the forefront of innovation.
Robert Holden, MD became chairman of the department in 1991 and served for four years, at which time he became Dean of the medical school. Dr. Holden identified a future vision and marshalled the resources to carry through with it. Dr. Holden centered his attention on three areas of teaching, clinical radiology and basic research.
Mervyn D. Cohen, MBChB, MD served as department chairman 1995-2002. He was supportive of new methods and new ways of thinking in the department. One of the most important steps taken by Dr. Cohen was to empower the faculty to get involved in determining future goals and solutions for the department. Dr. Cohen’s vision had a strong business approach, focusing on the future – on vision, mission and strategic initiatives for the department. Goals included achieving excellence in clinical care, teaching, research, and now service to the university and the profession.
In 2002, Valerie P. Jackson, MD became chairman of the department. Under her chairmanship, the department achieved a single source of radiology services for the newly established Clarian Health Partners. The number of full-time faculty had grown over the years, nearly 15 times the number of full-time radiologists in the department just 50 years before the Jackson years. The imaging sciences research division continued to grow under the leadership of Gary Hutchins.
In 2014, our current chairman Himanshu Shah, MD, FACR, FSIR, assumed leadership of the department. A new chairman always ushers in a new phase of growth for the department, and that is proving to be correct as new faculty and cutting edge equipment are being added every year. We are fortune to have Dr. Shah as our leader and we’re sure his oversight will usher in a new era of growth in clinical, academic and research areas of radiology.