Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Dr. Kavish Patidar is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine at Indiana University School of Medicine. He joined the division in 2018 after completing dual fellowships in Gastroenterology and Transplant Hepatology from Virginia Commonwealth School of Medicine. His clinical and research interests are related to the complications cirrhosis, including acute kidney injury, and critical care management in this population.
1. Orman ES, Roberts A, Ghabril M, Nephew L, Desai A, Patidar K, Chalasani N. Trends in Characteristics, Mortality, and Other Outcomes of Patients With Newly Diagnosed Cirrhosis. JAMA Netw Open. 2019 Jun 5;2(6):e196412
2. Duarte-Rojo A, Allampati S, Thacker LR, Flud CR, Patidar KR, White MB, Klair JS, Heuman DM, Wade JB, Gavis EA, Bajaj JS. Diagnosis of covert hepatic encephalopathy: a multi-center study testing the utility of single versus combined testing. Metab Brain Dis. 2019 Feb;34(1):289-295
3.Patidar KR, Kang L, Bajaj JS, Carl DE, Sanyal AJ. Fractional excretion of urea: A simple tool for the differential diagnosis of AKI in cirrhosis. Hepatology. 2018 Jul;68(1):224-233
4. Patidar KR, Shaw J, Thacker LR, White MB, Ganapathy D, Fagan A, Gavis EA, Bajaj JS. No Association Between Quick Sequential Organ Failure Assessment and Outcomes of Patients With Cirrhosis and Infections. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2017:15(11): 1803-1804
5. Patidar KR, Sanyal AJ. Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt for refractory ascites in patients with high model for end-stage liver disease scores. Clin Liver Dis (Hoboken). 2016 Apr 27;7(4):84-87. doi: 10.1002/cld.542.
6. Ganapathy D, Acharya C, Lachar J, Patidar KR, Sterling RK, White MB, Ignudo C, Bommidi S, DeSoto J, Thacker LR, Matherly S, Shaw J, Siddiqui MS, Puri P, Sanyal AJ, Luketic V, Lee H, Stravitz RT, Bajaj JS. The patient buddy app can potentially prevent hepatic encephalopathy-related readmissions. Liver Int 2017:37(12): 1843-1851.
7. Patidar KR, Thacker LR, Wade JB, White MB, Gavis EA, Fafan A, Sterling RK, Fuchs M, Siddiqui MS, Matherly S, Stravitz RT, Sanyal AJ, Puri P, Luketic VA, Bajaj JS. Symptom Domain Groups of the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System Tools Independently Predict Hospitalizations and Re-hospitalizations in Cirrhosis. Dig Dis Sci 2017;62:1173-1179
8. Patidar KR, Bajaj JS. Tired of Hepatitis B? Dig Dis Sci 2016;61:953-954.
9. Siddiqui MS, Patidar KR, Boyett S, Luketic VA, Puri P, Sanyal AJ. Performance of Non-invasive Models of Fibrosis in Predicting Mild to Moderate Fibrosis in Patients with Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). Liver Int 2016;36:572-579.
10. Allampati S, Duarte-Rojo A, Thacker LR, Patidar KR, White MB, Klair JS, John B, Heuman DM, Wade JB, Flud C, O'Shea R, Gavis EA, Unser AB, Bajaj JS. Diagnosis of Minimal Hepatic Encephalopathy Using Stroop EncephalApp: A Multicenter US-Based, Norm-Based Study. Am J Gastroenterol 2016;111:78-86.
11. Patidar KR, Bajaj JS. Covert and Overt Hepatic Encephalopathy: Diagnosis and Management. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2015;13:2048-2061.
12. Siddiqui MS, Cheang KL, Luketic VA, Boyett S, Idowu MO, Patidar KR, Puri P, Matherly S, Stravitz RT, Sterling RK, Sanyal AJ.Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) Is Associated with a Decline in Pancreatic Beta Cell (beta-Cell) Function. Dig Dis Sci 2015;60:2529-2537.
13. Patidar KR, Thacker LR, White MB, Wade JB, Sterling RK, Sanyal AJ, Siddiqui MS, Stravitz T, Luketic VA, Fuchs M, Grilles H, Heuman DM, Bajaj JS. Covert Hepatic Encephalopathy Is Independently Associated With Poor Survival And Increased Risk Of Hospitalization. Am J Gastroenterol 2014;109:1757-1763.
14. Patidar KR, Sydnor M, Sanyal AJ. Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt. Clin Liver Dis 2014;18:853-876.
15. Siddiqui MS, Patidar KR, Boyett S, Smith PG, Sanyal AJ, Sterling RK. Validation of noninvasive methods for detecting hepatic steatosis in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2015;13:402-405.
16. Aleman JO, Eusebi LH, Ricciardiello L, Patidar KR, Sanyal AJ, Holt PR. Mechanisms of obesity-induced gastrointestinal neoplasia. Gastroenterology 2014;146:357-373.
17. Patidar KR, Bajaj JS. Antibiotics for the treatment of hepatic encephalopathy. Metab Brain Dis 2013;28:307-312.
Patidar KR, Bajaj JS. Neurologic Consequences of Liver Disease. Zakim and Boyers Hepatology - A Textbook of Liver Disease, 7th Edition. Chapter 17. 2017.
Patidar KR, Sanyal AJ. Ascites and Spontaneous Bacterial Peritonitis. Hand Book of Liver Diseases. 4th Edition. Chapter 13. 2017
Patidar KR, Bajaj JS. Best Practices in Managing Hepatic Encephalopathy. AASLD Post Graduate Course. November 2015
1. Acute kidney injury and recovery in patients with cirrhosis
2. Acute on chronic liver failure
3. Critical Care management in patients with cirrhosis
4. Complications and outcomes in patients with cirrhosis and portal hypertension
American College of Gastroenterology
American Gastroenterological Association