YOU ARE EXPLORING
Medical Education Foundation
Indiana University School of Medicine-South Bend is advised by the Medical Education Foundation (MEF), a citizen’s advisory board whose mission is to be the regional convener, initiator and facilitator of individuals, groups and organizations interested in improving the intellectual capital base, research and quality of life in health sciences, bio-technology and medical education in Michiana.
MEF is dedicated to providing high-quality medical education in a personal, intimate and value-driven environment. It seeks to leverage the combined talents of IU and the University of Notre Dame by sponsoring collaborative research in cancer, bioengineering and infectious disease that impact the quality of medical care and support economic development in the neighboring regional community.
The Foundation supports public understanding of health and medicine through its sponsorship of the annual Mini Medical School Program on the campus of IU School of Medicine-South Bend. Its members also work to foster collaboration among faculty, staff, scientists, and the business and medical communities leading to the development of products, services and businesses growing in the regional market.
MEF members also have championed financial support for IU School of Medicine-South Bend’s development of the third- and fourth-year clinical education program, and they support the annual gala called the IUSM-SB Medicine Ball.
The Board’s two-dozen members are geographically representative and functionally diverse. They represent members of the regional business communities, educational institutions, health care and medical providers.
- Jack Ahrens, TGap Ventures, Kalamazoo, MI
- Rafat Ansari, MD, Michiana Hematology Oncology, PC, South Bend
- Linda Baxley, Carex Technologies, Inc., South Bend
- Robert Bernhard, PhD, Office of Research, University of Notre Dame
- David Brenner, Innovation Park at Notre Dame
- Randall Cammenga, MD, FACEP, IU Health Goshen Hospital
- Gary Fromm, MD, Memorial Hospital, South Bend
- Larry Garatoni, HQ Investments, Mishawaka
- Jack Gourley, May Lorber, Mishawaka
- Albert Gutierrez, Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center, Mishawaka
- John Hiler, Hiler Industries, La Porte
- S. Jesse Hsieh, MD, The South Bend Clinic
- Glenn Killoren, Barnes & Thornburg, Elkhart
- James Larkin, MS, Scientific Methods, Inc., Granger
- Samuel Milligan, MD, Nephrology Inc., Mishawaka
- Christopher J. Murphy III, 1st Source Bank, South Bend
- Philip Newbold, Beacon Health System, South Bend
- Andrea Short, 1st Source BAnk, South Bend
- Sharon Stack, PhD, Harper Cancer Research Institute, Notre Dame
- Thor Thordarson, IU Health La Porte Hospital
- Thomas Troeger, MD, South Bend, IN
- David Van Ryn, MD, Elkhart Emergency Physicians, Inc.
- Thomas Vidic, MD, Elkhart Clinic