Medical Education Foundation
Indiana University School of Medicine-South Bend is advised by the Medical Education Foundation (MEF), a citizen’s advisory board whose mission is to be the regional convener, initiator and facilitator of individuals, groups and organizations interested in improving the intellectual capital base, research and quality of life in health sciences, bio-technology and medical education in Michiana.
MEF is dedicated to providing high-quality medical education in a personal, intimate and value-driven environment. It seeks to leverage the combined talents of IU and the University of Notre Dame by sponsoring collaborative research in cancer, bioengineering and infectious disease that impact the quality of medical care and support economic development in the neighboring regional community.
The Foundation supports public understanding of health and medicine through its sponsorship of the annual Mini Medical School Program on the campus of IU School of Medicine-South Bend. Its members also work to foster collaboration among faculty, staff, scientists, and the business and medical communities leading to the development of products, services and businesses growing in the regional market.
MEF members also have championed financial support for IU School of Medicine-South Bend’s development of the third- and fourth-year clinical education program, and they support the annual gala called the IU School of Medicine-South Bend Medicine Ball.
The Board’s two-dozen members are geographically representative and functionally diverse. They represent members of the regional business communities, educational institutions, health care and medical providers.
- Chairman: Christopher J. Murphy III, 1st Source Bank
- Vice Chairman: Thomas R. Cassady Jr., The Horton Group
- President: Philip A. Newbold
- Vice President: John P. Hiler, Hiler Industries
- Vice President: Richard F. Carlton, Data Realty, LLC
- Secretary & Treasurer: Andrea G. Short, 1st Source Bank
- Jack Ahrens, TGap Ventures, Kalamazoo, MI
- Larry Allen, MD, Goshen Health System
- Rafat Ansari, MD, Michiana Hematology Oncology, PC
- Robert Bernhard, PhD, Office of Research, University of Notre Dame
- Carl Bossing, Senior1Care
- Mark Fox, MD, PhD, MPH, IU School of Medicine-South Bend
- Gary Fromm, MD, Memorial Hospital, South Bend
- Kreg R. Gruber, Beacon Health System
- S. Jesse Hsieh, MD, Michiana VIP MD
- James F. Keenan, Judd Leighton Foundation, Inc.
- James Larkin, MS, Scientific Methods, Inc.
- Kelly Macken-Marble, MAOM, CMPE, The South Bend Clinic
- Samuel Milligan, MD, FACP, Nephrology Physicians LLC
- Bryan K. Ritchie, University of Notre Dame
- Joyce L. Simpson, MD, South Bend Medical Foundation
- M. Sharon Stack, PhD, Harper Cancer Research Institute, Notre Dame
- Chad W. Towner, Saint Joseph Health System
- David E. Van Ryn, MD, Elite Emergency Physicians, Inc.
- Thomas R. Vidic, MD, Elkhart Clinic