YOU ARE EXPLORING
A full spectrum of exercise opportunities including swimming, diving, weight lifting, and track are available on campus for the use of IU School of Medicine students, residents, fellows, faculty and staff.
On Campus Facilities
- Daly Center Workout Room: Available to all medical students, this small but convenient workout facility is located next to the lockers in the student lounge and includes private showers in the bathrooms. Request access to the Daly facilities.
- IUPUI Facilities: For $50 per semester, students can get access to the IU Natatorium (a world-class pool), a fully-stocked exercise facility, gymnasium, softball fields, volleyball pits, track, intramural sport leagues and more. All facilities are on the IUPUI campus, which is connected to IU School of Medicine’s Indianapolis campus.
- IU Health: Students have access to all fitness centers with paid fee, except the IU Health Pathology Lab fitness center.
- University Hospital (room 0761, access 24/7): Two treadmills, one elliptical, one recumbent cycle, dumbbells (3 – 45 lbs.), a curl bar, Smith Press, pull-up bar, sit-up mats/balls, medicine balls, water and towel service.
- Methodist Hospital (room A G043, access 24/7): Three treadmills, two ellipticals, one recumbent cycle, one upright cycle, dumbbells (3 – 70 lbs.), a curl bar, a Universal Machine, Smith Press, pull-up bar, sit-up mats/balls, medicine balls, water and towel service, showers and lockers.
- Fairbanks Hall Fitness Center: (suite 1200, access 24/7): Eight treadmills, 3 Arc Trainers, 2 elliptical machines, 2 recumbent cycles, 2 upright cycles, 1 Rex machine, 13 Cybex strength training machines, Smith Press, Cable Crossover, dumbbells, sit-up board, back extension board, aerobics room, water and towel service, showers and lockers.
- Goodman Hall (LL 178, 7am-7pm M-F only): Six treadmills, 2 elliptical machines, 1 Arc Trainer, 8 Cybex strength training machines, sit-up board, 3 adjustable benches and dumbbells (5-50 lbs.), water and towel service, showers and lockers.
- IU Health Pathology Lab Fitness Center (room 4018, 24/7): Available only to employees who have access to the IU Health Pathology Lab. Three treadmills, one elliptical, one Arc Trainer, one recumbent cycle, Hoist personal pulley system, dumbbells (3 – 45 lbs.), a curl bar, sit-up board/ball, water and towel service.
- National Institute for Fitness and Sport (NIFS): Through a partnership with IUPUI, NIFS offers discounted and fitness opportunities to IU School of Medicine students. This facility has an indoor track, many treadmills, elliptical machines, bikes and steppers, a very large weight room, a large nautilus section, free lockers, and a basketball court. Members get discounted or free fitness classes as well as access to trainers, body fat testing, and other types of support. Student memberships start at $25.
- YMCA: Eleven facilities are in the Indianapolis area, including two downtown near campus. Membership rates are very low, and prices are adjusted based on income. Students should take a list of loans and cost of tuition to qualify for the lowest rate. The YMCA also gives discounts for family memberships.
- Cardinal Fitness: This cheap, no-contract gym has several locations around Indianapolis.
- For runners: A very popular trail is the canal downtown. This pedestrian-only path follows the scenic waterway through downtown Indianapolis and is a hot spot for rollerbladers, joggers, walkers (with and without dogs)—and ducks. End to end, this trail is 1.5 miles. Other running locations include the Eagle Creek Park trails, Northwest Way Park, White River Greenway, Whitewater State Park, the Monon Trail, Butler University Campus, and the outdoor track at the Natatorium.
- For cyclists: The most popular biking trail is the Monon, which stretches through the city from 10th St. near 65/70 all the way up to Carmel (a good 15 miles or so). A paved bike trail that follows the White River Greenway and passes through Riverside Park is also a great option.