IU School of Medicine Office of Undergraduate Medical Education
The Office of Undergraduate Medical Education at Indiana University School of Medicine is located in the Robert M Long building on the campus of IUPUI. We are an administrative unit of IUSM; we work hand-in-hand with IUSM students and faculty in all aspects of medical education. Our vision is to cultivate a robust, dynamic curriculum that exemplifies IUSM’s core competencies and fully prepares our graduates to become outstanding physicians.
We are a community of learners who believe education is the most important mission of the institution and is our foundational core.
IU Office of Undergraduate Medical Education is dedicated to:
- Excellence that is demonstrated in the innovative conduct and continuous improvement of our competency-based undergraduate medical education program
- Respect for individuals who are affiliated with, or come in contact with, Indiana University School of Medicine
- Integrity that embraces the very highest standards of ethical behavior and exemplary moral character
- Diversity that is reflected through the curriculum and acknowledges all learners
- Cooperation that is exemplified through collegial communication and collaboration
The activites of the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education encompass three functional areas:
Our faculty understands the importance of providing our students with an outstanding medical education. Our curriculum team is focused on the oversight and management of medical education curriculum statewide. We work to enhance/achieve program development and quality improvement of medical education.
The Program Evaluation Pillar of the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education promotes quality improvement and institutional excellence by understanding the educational needs and experiences of students at IUSM and providing faculty with actionable information that can be used to further curricular effectiveness. Beyond gathering, analyzing and disseminating data, we provide resources and support to faculty in their efforts utilizing findings to improve teaching and foster student learning at IUSM.
Our team is responsible for ensuring the development, oversight and coordination of student assessment, which includes Peer and Self-Assessment, OSCE, and Script Concordance exams. We collect and report statewide student assessment data with the purpose of providing feedback to IUSM centers, curriculum focused committees, and to medical students.