Indiana University School of Medicine-South Bend thrives on innovation.
We are the first of IUSM’s regional campuses to introduce third- and fourth-year education and the first to open a student outreach clinic. Our focus on research is yields noteworthy discovery in cancer, genetics and infectious disease. Our faculty's work has been acknowledged by IU's most honored research awards.
Classes began in 1968, literally on the campus of the University of Notre Dame. A free-standing classroom and research building, Raclin-Carmichael Hall, opened in 2005 across the street from Notre Dame, and a second building dedicated to cancer research, Harper Hall, came online in 2011.
Our partnerships with Notre Dame remains an important part of our identity, manifested in the joint Harper Cancer Research Institute and our collaboration with the Eck Center for Global Health. Our faculty are adjunct Notre Dame professors; our students are recognized at ND as non-degree graduate students.
We contribute to and value equally the three missions of IUSM--education, research and patient care and service. At IUSM-SB, that means:
- We tailor the four-year curriculum to meet specific student interests
- Team-based learning is highly favored by our first- and second-year students
- Many of our full-time and clinical faculty have achieved exceptional student satisfaction evaluations
- Our four-year graduates achieve residencies in such highly regarded programs as Duke, Vanderbilt, University of Michigan and, of course, Indiana University School of Medicine
- With Notre Dame, we offer an M.D./Ph.D. program and an M.S./M.D. in Global Health
- Third- and fourth-year students in good standing and demonstrating need, as well as many first- and second-year students, receive a minimum annual scholarship of $5,000 as a result of the generosity of the local community
- External funding has reached as much as $2 million annually
- On-site core facilities and an animal modeling center provide critical support
- Our faculty have been named IU Showalter Scholars and received the annual Trailblazer award, both awards which acknowledge significant research impact
- More than 200 local physicians, many of whom attend IUSM-SB, care for patients in the South Bend and surrounding medical communities and also instruct our students
- Physicians from hospitals across three counties, as well as several clinics and individual practices, enthusiastically host our students
- The Navari Student Outreach Clinic, also supported by local clinicians, provides free health care for low-income and uninsured local residents while providing students with an opportunity to improve their clinical and management skills
For whatever reason you want to explore IUSM-SB, we welcome you to contact us directly and make a visit to our terrific campus.
Mark D. Fox, M.D., Ph.D., MPH
Associate Dean and Director
Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics