Welcome from the Director
There has never been a better time to be a part of Indiana University School of Medicine - South Bend (IUSM-SB). Though we have been around since 1968, IUSM-SB's move to Raclin-Carmichael Hall in 2005 and the opening in March 2011 of Harper Hall have brought renewed energy to our mission. So too, has our partnership with the University of Notre Dame to launch the new Harper Cancer Research Institute.
We contribute and value equally to the three missions of IUSM: education, research and patient care/service.
- Ranked highly among the IUSM regional centers by first year medical students.
- Tailors the four-year medical education program to meet student interest.
- Poised to host more than 120 matriculating first- through fourth-year students by 2016.
- With the University of Notre Dame faculty, provides an MD/PhD option.
- Opened the Mike and Josie Harper Cancer Research Institute in early 2011 to investigate cancer care, prevention and research as well as engage in local and accessible clinical trials.
- Increases research faculty and staff annually priority to hire outstanding research faculty over the next several years.
- Created first Oncology Advisory Board to stimulate translational research.
- More than 200 local physicians, many of whom attended IUSM-SB, care for patients in the South Bend and surrounding medical communities and also instruct our students.
- Clinical faculty participate in or lead many of our programs with Memorial Hospital, Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center, Elkhart General Hospital, Memorial Epworth Center, South Bend Clinic, Goshen Health System, South Bend Medical Foundation, LaPorte Regional Health System and many private practices.
This is an incredibly exciting time to be a part of IUSM-SB. Signs of our progress and potential are all around. We welcome your support as we move to educate future physicians, secure funding for the latest advancements in cancer research and improve the patient outcome for thousands of families in Indiana and around the nation.
Rudolph M. Navari, MD, PhD, FACP
Professor of Medicine
Associate Dean and Director, IUSM-SB
Clinical Director, Mike and Josie Harper Cancer Research Institute