Emergency mobilization procedures for IUSM
For daily updates for the IUPUI Campus, please visit http://www.iupui.edu/%7Eprepared
The IUSM Task Force on Bioterrorism has established the following recommendations for physicians, medical students, residents and other health care professionals in the event of a disaster requiring medical mobilization:
- All personnel should report for duty to the hospital to which they are currently assigned -- e.g., if you are staffing IU but your office is in Wishard, you should go to IU; if you are a student rotating on Medicine at the VA, you should go to the VA.
- At all times, wear your university/hospital ID tags. Arrangements are pending for emergency credentialing by the Medical Reserve Corps, which would allow medical personnel to report for duty at the closest hospital in Marion County.
- Each hospital will have prominent signs posted in the main lobbies directing groups of individuals to report to specified locations (e.g., ER, OR, clinics, command posts, etc).
- Updates will be posted on the IUSM Disaster Preparedness site (this site) and IUPUI Emergency Preparedness web site. Updates also will be emailed to everyone via Scope and will be available by calling the IUPUI Disaster Preparedness hot line 317-274-7911 or via the IUPUI Emergency Preparedness site. In the event that networks and phone lines are down, this information will be posted in each hospital.
- The following phone numbers are available for additional safety and emergency information:
IU Health (IU, Methodist, Riley) Emergencies:
317-962-8000 or on campus 317-274-7270
IU Health Safety and Emergency Management Coordinator:
317-639-6671 (Dial 0 from within Wishard.)
IUPUI Campus Police, Campus Emergencies:
317-274-7911 TTY: 317-274-1387
Roudebush VA Emergencies:
Backup Hospital Police Dispatch at 317-554-0063
- The following Web addresses will post instructions during an emergency and contain useful information:
IUPUI Emergency Preparedness
IUSM Disaster Preparedness (this page)
Indiana Disaster Center
Safety Guidelines for Armed Subjects, Active Shooter Situations
IUSM Task Force on Bioterrorism, Committee Co-chairs:
Rose Fife, MD
Steve Wintermeyer, MD